Immunity Supporting Opportunities for Probiotics in Active Living
26 Aug 2021
Consumers are turning to both active living and better diets that incorporate hero ingredients like probiotics, to improve their immunity. Despite this, only a few brands positioned for active living are actually leveraging on this growing consumer trend.
1. Consumers are increasingly conscious of their susceptability to disease and illness.
2. Exercise alongside an improved diet is being used to improve consumers immunity.
3. Consumers are interested in reducing inflammation when engaging in physical activity.
Percentage of consumers who are interested in finding out how to reduce inflammation when engaging in physical activity.2
4. Consumers are willing to pay a premium for products containing probiotics.
5. Immunity claims are increasing for products that support active living.
However, very few brands are leveraging probiotics’ growing association with immunity.
Number of new launches with immunity claims (Performance nutrition products, MAT).3
of Performance nutrition products that claim immunity also call out probiotics.
Consumers continue to seek ways to improve their immunity. Combining an active lifestyle with improved diet is a path that many consumers are taking.
Consumers are also becoming interested in finding out how to reduce inflammation while engaging in physical activity. This creates an opportunity for performance nutrition products to support this emerging consumer need.
Probiotics are a recognised hero ingredient in supporting immunity. Brands can benefit from creating stronger links between immunity and probiotics in their product claims to leverage probiotics’ growing popularity.
-  FMCG GURUS, Insights & Opportunities – Immunity – Global 2020
-  FMCG GURUS Immunity survey 2020.
-  Mintel GNPD.
Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited and its group members involved in the manufacture or sale of NZMP branded products (‘Fonterra’) has provided this ‘NZMP Fast Facts’ for informational purposes only. It does not constitute recommendations or advice for the purposes of making financial decisions regarding trading in dairy products or commodities, or dealing in financial instruments relating to dairy commodities. Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of reproducing and interpreting such information, no warranty or representation of such is made and Fonterra shall have no liability in respect of any reliance placed on such information in the formulation of any business decision.