Fonterra Releases 2020 Sustainability Report
Fonterra's 2020 Sustainability Report shows most encouraging progress to date.
04 November 2020
Fonterra achieved its most encouraging sustainability results since first annually reporting on them four years ago.
This report highlights the improvements made on all three of the Co-op's core environmental metrics, which revolve around greenhouse gas emissions, water use, and solid waste to landfills.
These results come off the back of strong FY20 financial results and continued support for communities around New Zealand.
Fonterra Sustainability Report 2020 Summary
- Became the first dairy company in New Zealand to have its emission reduction targets endorsed by the UN-backed Science Based Target initiative.
- Achieved target of 20% reduction in energy intensity from 2003 to 2020 on its manufacturing sites. This is enough energy to power all the households in New Zealand for 1.5 years.
- Launched the first carbonzero™ milk in the Southern Hemisphere - Simply Milk.
- Became the first in New Zealand to provide Farm-specific Green House Gas emissions profiles to farmers. These provide insights for farmers to identify opportunities to reduce the carbon footprint of their farm.
- Hit target of 100% manufacturing sites being independently certified to leading food safety management system.
- Supplied 2 million litres of ethanol for hand sanitiser use since the start of COVID-19.
- Celebrated 10 years of serving up KickStart Breakfast to New Zealand children.
We will be sharing more on our sustainability solutions for customers in the coming year. Please reach out to your account manager if you have any further questions.