IFT18 in Review: Innovation and superior ingredients
We caught up with three of our experts to reflect on what they saw at the show and what it means for our global customers.
25 July 2018
NZMP Category Director – Active Nutrition, Kelly Fleming
- "We could clearly see that the protein trend continues to gain further growth momentum, with the variety of protein product offerings expanding into new formats such as desserts and snacks.
- Traditionally consumers have turned to RTDs, bars and powdered product formats to get their protein boost, but as consumers’ nutritional demands throughout the day evolve we are seeing product formats having to evolve with them.
- With the breadth of our protein portfolio, NZMP is perfectly placed to deliver on our customers and consumer needs especially in the Sports & Active Lifestyles space, and it was great to be able to showcase the versatility of our superior functional NZMP SureProteinTM ingredients in a wide variety of delicious tasting products.
- The Sports & Active Lifestyles market is an exciting space to be in. Offering ingredients, as well as fully formulated solutions in this area will continue to be a firm focus."
NZMP Ingredients Americas – VP Dairy Nutrition, Ellen James
"North America remains a market full of opportunity, the continued demand for quality nutrition delivered through great-tasting products in formats which match consumers lifestyle demands is evident to see.
Product manufacturers are constantly looking for the best ingredients to give their products the edge versus the competition, but one thing which remains constant is the demand for great tasting products that deliver an enjoyable consumption experience.
At this year’s IFT event, NZMP showcased a variety of protein formats including new concepts such as our protein ice-cream and protein pudding for which we received glowing feedback on the taste and texture from attendees.
Our WPI portfolio is also clearly world-leading, with the functionality of these protein ingredients delivering unmatched protein water beverage applications for consumers wanting non-milky protein beverage options.
‘Natural products’ was also a key theme again at this year’s event, driven by consumer trends such as the demand for organic and non-GMO sourced ingredients, which NZMP offers, along with our New Zealand provenance to help our customers differentiate and capture value in their own markets."
The ability to deliver compact nutrition remains a key challenge for the medical market, so we were delighted to showcase our great tasting 14% protein medical beverage which addresses that challenge.
NZMP Medical Nutrition – Head of Sales, Camiel van Beek
NZMP Medical Nutrition – Head of Sales, Camiel van Beek:
- "The ability to deliver compact nutrition remains a key challenge for the medical market, so we were delighted to showcase our great tasting 14% protein medical beverage which addresses that challenge.
- Clear protein water beverages containing WPI was another area of keen interest, presenting medical patients with an alternative to milky beverage options.
- Observations at the show reveal that there is growing interest for normalised foods; foods fortified with protein, such as cakes, snacks and some desserts. With our protein expertise NZMP is well-positioned to provide functional solutions to our customers to support the delivery of great tasting foods that deliver the nutritional needs of medical and ageing consumers."