A sustainable Co-operative is core to our strategy and creating value for future generations.
Our Sustainability Priorities
Caring for people and making a positive social impact.
Working together to achieve a healthy environment for farming and society.
Delivering sustainable prosperity for our Fonterra farmers, partners and wider communities.
What is Fonterra doing?
Fonterra has committed to a target of net zero emissions at our manufacturing site by 2050. We are making progress by:
- Delivered a 20% reduction in energy intensity at our manufacturing sites since 2003 - enough to power all the households in New Zealand for 1.5 years
- The conversion of the boiler at our Brightwater site to co-fire on wood biomass
- Switching to wood pellets at our Te Awamutu site, saving more than 84,000 tonnes of carbon emissions - the same as taking 32,000 cars off the road
tARGETS & Launches
- A target of zero waste to landfill with all packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025
- A target of 100% of manufacturing sites treating wastewater to leading industry standards by 2026
- Launched carbonzero organic butter
- Launched New Zealand's first plant-based milk bottles, made from sustainability sourced sugarcane
- Launching The Co-operative Difference - a straight-forward way of bringing together what farmers need to know for today, recognising farms who go above and beyond and providing on guidance on things to consider in future planning
- Provided all Fonterra suppliers with farm specific GHG emissions profiles
- Investigating breakthrough technologies that could provide a significant reduction in biological emissions produced by cows
- More than 40% of Fonterra farmers have a tailored Farm Environment Plan, with all farmers to have one by 2025
- Fonterra farmers are required to uphold high standards of animal welfare and establish an Animal Health Plan approved by their vet