Fonterra Sustainability Report 2022
Learn more about the progress we're making towards our targets in our latest Sustainability Report.
27 Oct 2022
Our Sustainability Report shows the progress we’re making towards our targets – while also recognising there is more work to be done.
Our New Zealand farmers are already among the most efficient in the world, with one of the lowest on-farm carbon footprints in the world. But we’re not stopping there.
Over the last year we have made good progress towards our targets, but there is still more work to do if we are to have the kind of world we want to leave for future generations.
Let’s take a look at a few of Fonterra’s biggest sustainability wins of the year…
Fonterra Sustainability Performance Report 2022 Summary:
- 71% of farms supplying us milk in New Zealand now have detailed farm-specific Farm Environment Plans, up from 53% at the start of the year.
- 11.2% reduction in our scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions since FY18, well ahead of our target for FY22 (6.6%).
- 6.6% reduction in water use at our manufacturing sites in water-constrained regions since 2018, strong turnaround since 2021 and just short of our target for FY22 (8%).
- 76% of our Farmer Owners in New Zealand have an Animal Wellbeing Plan annually reviewed with their vet.
- Successfully trialled a PolyJoule battery at our Te Rapa farm, storing electricity produced by the farms solar panels to increase the use of solar from power and provide an energy back-up.
- 89% of our packaging is now made from recycle-ready material.
- 6315 farms in New Zealand achieved one of the recognition levels in our Co-operative difference framework, up from 3246 last year.