Last year saw a strong increase in online searches for “immunity”, but these numbers tripled within the first two months of the Covid-19 outbreak1.
This has had a huge impact on parents’ appetites for solutions and products which could provide enhanced protection for the entire family. One such solution is – Bifidobacterium animalis subspecies lactis HN019 (marketed as SureStart™ BifidoB HN019™)
SureStartTM BifidoB HN019TM has been clinically tested to deliver a range of immune health benefits. Researched and developed over many years, it has been shown to help reduce the risk of viral infections such as colds and flu in infants2.
The strain’s benefits for immune function are also effective in helping to combat other common infectious diseases, beginning from childhood.
The immune system is key to good health across our entire lifespan and is critical to maintaining the overall healthy functioning of our bodies – with more than half of the immune system’s white blood cells located in the gut3.
Early life nutrition is an important factor in shaping the trillions of beneficial gut bacteria known as the microbiota that play a central role in the maturing of the infant immune system.
Human milk is the ideal nutrition for infants, however in some cases breastfeeding is not possible. In these situations, parents may want a paediatric nutrition solution which may help to support their baby’s immune system.
The probiotics bifidobacteria and lactobacilli are often used in infant formula. NZMP SureStart™ strains are proven to help modulate the gut microbiota and protect against a range of infections.4,5,6
SureStart™ BifidoB HN019™ is a well-characterised and safe probiotic strain with extensively documented probiotic effects, especially in the area of gut microbial health, protection against infection, and immune modulation. It’s a naturally occurring bacteria, and was originally isolated from fermented milk.
SureStart™ BifidoB HN019™
A probiotic that supports immunity and digestive health in infants and young children.
SureStart™ LactoB HN001™
A probiotic that supports immunity and health for mothers, infants and young children.
-  Google Trends https://trends.google.com
-  Dekker J, Xu L, Hong Q, Xiaoyang S. Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis HN019 protects against respiratory tract infections in Chinese infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2017;64(Supplement 1):760.
-  Thursby E, Juge N. Introduction to the human gut microbiota. Vol. 474, Biochemical Journal. Portland Press Ltd; 2019. p. 1823-36.
-  Dekker JW, Wickens K, Black PN, Stanley T V., Mitchell EA, Fitzharris P, et al. Safety aspects of probiotic bacterial strains Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis HN019 in human infants aged 0-2 years. Int Dairy J. 2009 Mar 1;19(3):149–54.
-  Wickens K, Black PN, Stanley T V., Mitchell E, Fitzharris P, Tannock GW, et al. A differential effect of 2 probiotics in the prevention of eczema and atopy: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008 Oct;122(4):788–94.
-  Oswari H, Prayitno L, Dwipoerwantoro PG, Firmansyah A, Makrides M, Lawley B, et al. Comparison of stool microbiota compositions, stool alpha1-antitrypsin and calprotectin concentrations, and diarrhoeal morbidity of Indonesian infants fed breast milk or probiotic/prebiotic-supplemented formula. J Paediatr Child Health. 2013 Dec;49(12):1032–9.