We define ‘Protection’ as supporting babies’ digestive and immune systems to help them defend against illness.
Until the gut wall and immune system begin to reach maturity, breast milk is the ideal nutrition for infants, as it provides important protective components. When a baby is breastfed, its gut is colonised by certain types of beneficial bacteria which are thought to play an important role in a healthy, balanced gut.
Other breast milk components such as lactoferrin and complex milk lipids, may help to speed up gut maturation and may protect gut membrane integrity1.
Ingredients for Protection
SureStart™ BifidoB HN019™
- Bifidobacterium animalis subspecies lactis HN019
- An extensively studied probiotic, SureStart™ BifidoB HN019™ supports immunity and digestive health in infants and young children.
SureStart™ LactoB HN001™
- Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus HN001
- SureStart™ LactoB HN001™ supports immunity and health for mothers, infants and young children.
SureStart™ has a broad range of ingredients to meet your needs
When parents in China and Indonesia are choosing a brand, their top criteria is that the infant formula “Strengthens my baby’s immunity”
Source: Fonetrra 'Mothers and health care professionals (HCPS) Consumer Research' 2010 & 2011
Our Probiotic Discovery Programme
Fonterra began a probiotic discovery programme in 1990.
This began with a pool of 2000 probiotic strains derived from dairy cultures.
Through careful study and research, the two most beneficial strains were commercially developed.
These are SureStart™
LactoB HN001™ and SureStart™
-  Demmelmair et al. 2017, Park et al, 2010; Park et al, 2007
-  Arboleya et al., 2016
-  Dekker et al 2012; Sazawal et al.,2010; Dekker et al.,2009
-  Wickens et al., 2012
-  Oswari et al., 2013
-  Rivière et al., 2016